6.28.2011

next wave and delighted

Though my blog has lain largely fallow, my art practice continues to grow.

Recently, my Spindle Drawings were selected for an exhibit in South Florida at the Lighthouse ArtCenter Museum for Next Wave: Young Contemporary Artists which consists of Floridian artists under the age of 35. The opening reception was held Friday and it will remain up through September 1st with a few more events associated with it between now and then, so if you find yourself in the West Palm Beach area in the meantime, please visit the museum to see the show.


I'd also like to mention Traces of Spun II received Best in Show. I'm honored and pleased.


Erin Curry Art, Traces of Spun 2, drawing, graphite on paper
  Traces of Spun II 
graphite on paper  
22" x 30"
(made with handspindle)

Within the gallery space, my drawings were paired with a few ceramic pieces by Ronald J. Shaw whose work is featured on the bottom right of the show's flyer. His process involves creating marks on stoneware by dropping horsehair on the pots during firing which ignites and carbonizes on the surface. Our works complemented one another quite well as both of our processes in creating linework require relinquishing a certain amount of control while maintaining restraint.


Of the twenty five artists represented, a few of the works that stood out to me particularly: Nathan Selikoff's generative digital works which transcend the sometimes harsh surfaces of digital art to reveal something more ephemeral as if recording flashes of natural phenomena, Sarah Nastri's delicate collages of transferred trees on surface embossed with snatches of lace, Rachel Rossin's mythical oil paintings depicting tropical esoteric mythologies (see her painting on the top of the flyer), and Micheal Bauman's sculptures, my favorite of which is Remembrance which is a glass topped box holding a grid formation and ammonia crystals grown within.


The event was also the first time I'd seen Kalina Winska's paintings for the show in person. Kalina and I met just over a year ago, and I've enjoyed seeing her work develop as she's veered through drawing, sculptures and back to her original medium, painting. I am looking forward to seeing more of what these swirling worlds hold.

Kalina and I also have a special project in the works that we'll share soon.


Here's my favorite of the Kalina's work in the show:

Kalina Winska This Far and No Farther oil on canvas
Kalina Winska
This Far and No Farther
oil on canvas
26" x 26"

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...